Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Beads...Knitting...Bead Knitting

It only seems natural, knitting being my first love and then the love of beads came and almost stole the spotlight.

I put down the knitting needles for several years and then when living in Holland it was much easier to knit on the train during my daily commute then it was to bead and the love of the fiber and needles was rekindled.

Combining the two, well what could be better. This cute wristlet pattern, by Katherine Matthews, called 'Rani' can be found on knitty.com.

I found a bead spinner to be a useful tool for stringing the 540 beads required for the pattern. It takes a bit of getting used to but in the end was faster then picking up one at a time with the needle. I counted the first 100 beads which was 8 inches and then I just measured my progress adding a couple of extra inches for good measure.



The pink ribbon yarn you see on the bottom is a crochet provisional cast on. I think that is among the simplest of the provisional cast ons, as long as one can find a suitable crochet hook nearby.



I'm already planning this pair in black with silver beads.....ooooh pretty.

And since I now have a bead presence in a yarn store, beaded knitting makes even more sense!

4 comments:

SharDon Exclusives said...

I would love to see a black and silver one. I don't know how to crochet or knit but I am fasinated by the process. Your work is always lovely...sharon

Maryanne said...

Isn't bead knitting fun?! I've been playing with it for a while and I have a cuff pattern I make all the time. It's reversible, with different color size 8 hex beads on each side. It's addictive to make :)! This summer I tried knitting with wire that has beads strung onto it. Also great fun with a very different looking end result. The jewelery is very light weight. Have fun playing with your beads and yarn! Maryanne

RitaJC said...

Interesting! My first love s knitting as well! Haven't tried to knit with beads yet, only to crochet...

A peacock's tale said...

I did a search for bead knitting and recognised the pattern on google images straight away. I started this last week and also used the crochet provisional cast on- I'm a beginner knitter - so this is a first project. I'm awful at figuring out guage- so if they aren't wide enough around the wrist will simply knit more rows until they are. Must get one of those bead stringers! I'm plannong a bright pink with black beads next!