Friday, December 18, 2009

Childhood Memories

A favorite childhood memory rediscovered. I grew up in Massachusetts in a time and place where neighbors and neighborhoods were a larger part of my life. Across the street was a family of five girls and they were my refuge.(If by the miracle of the internet, you lived on Manchester Road and were one of five sisters Barbara, Eileen, Peggy, MaryLou and Patricia, I've never forgotten!) They taught me to cook and taught me to knit. They moved away when I was 14 and I've lost touch, but these doughnut muffins were of that time and the smell of nutmeg brings back those memories.







Doughnut Muffins

12 oz unsalted butter, room temperature
1 3/4 c granulated sugar
4 large eggs
6 cups flower
1 tbs + 2 tsp baking powder
1/3 tsp sal
1 tsp ground netmeg
1 2/3 cup milk
1/4 c buttermilk


for dipping cinnamon sugar, melted butter

cream the sugar and butter, and add eggs
sift the dry ingredients
combine the milk and buttermilk
alternately mix the dry and wet ingredients, ending with dry
mix until well combined but not overmixed
grease and flour a muffin tin
scoop batter into tin so batter is even with top
bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes until firm to the touch

when just cool enough to touch, dip top into melted butter and cinnamon sugar

Put on a pot of coffee and enjoy!

7 comments:

lesliebeads said...

Yum! I'm baking this weekend and may give these a try :)
Also wanted to let you know I received the kit you sent - thanks much. Happy Holidays

Nancy said...

Wow those sound great. They will be the perfect thing for the snowy morning we may be having in the northeast tomorrow!

How many does this make?

Thanks! Nancy

Marcia DeCoster said...

oops, I forgot that part, makes 24
I miss a good nor'easter, hope it's fun for you!

abeadlady said...

I can almost smell them. LOL. Yum!

Azure Accessories said...

Mmmm...they look/sound delicious!

Cheers

Jean Hutter said...

Yummy - it is snowing here in NJ and I think I am going to make these muffins today - will warm me up nicely I am thinking.

Did you try to find your childhood friends on facebook - just a thought.

Janice said...

I recently went to a bar/cafe in Roslindale (MA) where this is one of their specialties. If they aren't good enough already, they slice them down the center and grill (with butter, of course) on a pan. They were SO, SO delicious!!!