Saturday, September 15, 2012

SES, Single Earring Syndrome

If you knit you've certainly heard of Single Sock Syndrome, but I think the term applies to anything that comes in pairs, especially if you are working with a short attention span.

It may be that cubic raw and I will get along beautifully for the next several years.  I am completely enamored with the stitch and it's possibilities.  This started out to be a zig zag, but I am quickly realizing I am not a straight line kind of gal, I like the gentleness of curves and not the hard edges of straight lines.  I tried, really, this was all angles when I started, but the flexibility of CRAW cries out for me to bend it, every time....


But back to SES....I like this one ok, but as is so often the case, I see the error of my ways once something is completely beaded.  I do make design decisions along the way and sometimes they work out, but more often then not, I finish and then I see where I should have gone.


What I see here is that the crystals at the top and bottom of the ellipse need to be brighter, and they will be on the next one.  The ellipse needs to be longer and the circle at the top needs to be smaller.  Which will be a feat since the circle was done in size 15 cubic raw, one color, making the join a little hard to see....

I also see that cubic raw and crystals were meant to go together, this is the perfect place for those amazing 2mm Swarovski Elements.  It is sadly true that we lost a few colors this past year in the 2's, but enough remain that I will continue to use them to compliment my seed bead work.  They are small and subtle, but the way they catch the light when woven into the fabric of a piece works beautifully. The light metallic gold 3 mm's are one of my favorite colors, but I think next time I am going to opt for something bright, perhaps the new light turquoise would work nicely.  I have some on the way, due to arrive any day and I can't wait to incorporate them into something new and shiny!

So it may be this one remains single as I move on to explore a new shape and color!

5 comments:

Cynthia Newcomer Daniel said...

It's lovely! But from your description, I think the next one will be even better.

LoriF said...

Personally, I'd be considering mis-matched earrings. :-) Bet you have something that would work.

Marcia DeCoster said...

Ha! Lori sounds like a good plan !

Ellen Yunker said...

Marcia, I can only comment using a phrase I've heard from you so many times in class: "If only one of these is in your future . . ."! It's one of my favorite lines, and I use it frequently myself - always with attribution, of course.
I love to read about your musings and creative paths. Keep up the good work!

Marcia DeCoster said...

Ah thanks Ellen, always nice to hear from you! Didn't mean to ignore you, turns out I didn't need testers for this round....AND, I decided to make the other earring and now I have two!